Subscribe to Pacesetter

Tryouts are happening soon

Lindsey K., Staff Reporter
February 16, 2012
Filed under Sports

As spring approaches most of Pelham’s sports start to get back in action for this coming year. The visual ensemble and cheerleading tryouts are two big tryouts that are stressed over every year. Dance team and majorettes will tryout March 5-9 and color guard April 2-6. The purpose of the visual ensemble is to perform at certain activities involving the band, athletics, or other school functions associated with Pelham High School. These groups are individual teams, but they are all considered a component of the Pelham High School Band. There will be a parent’s meeting held Thursday, February 23, at 7:30 p.m. in the Band room at Pelham High School. A parent for every student trying out for any of the teams must be present. There will be an additional tryout meeting on March 26 at 6 p.m. in the Pelham High School band room for any color guard parents who could not attend the first meeting. There will be time of questions at this meeting as well.

The eligibility for these three teams is all the same. Any 8th grade student who will be attending Pelham High School in the fall of 2012 and any 9-11th grade students currently attending Pelham is eligible to try out. The student must also have no grade lower than a 60 and a minimum average of a 70 in first semester grades. There is a list of required forms that must be turned in before a student can participate in the tryout clinic. An information sheet, release form (This will be given out at the parent meeting), current physical (must not be over a year old), fifteen dollar registration fee, and double check their grades to make sure they are eligible before coming to tryouts. The forms and registration fee are to be turned into Mrs. Cochran or Mrs. Burnside at the high school. Either from them off or mail them. Forms for dance and majorettes must be turned in by Friday, March 2. Forms for color guard can be brought to the tryout clinic Monday, April 2.

The estimated costs vary from year to year. This information will be available at the required pre-tryout parent meeting. All fees must be paid by deadlines in order for the child to participate in the activities. dance team and majorette clinic will be help Monday-Thursday, March 5-8 from 3:30-5:30. Tryouts will be Friday, March 9 starting at 3:30. It will be held in the gym. Color guard clinic will be Monday-Thursday, April 2-5 from 3:30-5:30. Tryouts will be held Friday, April 6 starting at 3:30. It will also be held in the gym. Both groups will wear the same thing to clinic and tryouts. Clinic: shorts, T-shirt, and tennis shoes/jazz shoes. Tryouts: Black shorts, white T-shirt, tennis shoes, white socks, or black jazz shoes. No emblems should be on the shirt, shorts, or socks. It is very important for the girls to realize that this is a yearlong commitment and it does not end at the end of football season.