Subscribe to Pacesetter

PHS track team prepares for meet

Nat S., Staff Reporter
February 2, 2012
Filed under Sports

The PHS track team is working hard this year to compete well in recent indoor track meets. With the state indoor track competition right around the corner, standout performances are crucial—especially this late in the season. In the Last Chance Meet, Pelham’s most recent indoor track competition, the Panther’s definitely performed well.

The Last Chance Meet, named for its close proximity to the state championship, is the final opportunity for runners to set new personal records (PR’s) and to rise in the state rankings before the statewide meet at the Crossplex facility in downtown Birmingham. Pelham sophomore Caitland S. placed second in the women’s 60 meter dash with a time of 7.69 seconds. PHS also finished ninth overall in the women’s 4×200 and 4×800 meter relay on Saturday. Kevin H. tied competitors from Spain Park, Northridge, Central Tuscaloosa and Vestavia in the men’s high jump with a jump of 1.67 meters.

The state indoor track meet will take place on Feb. 3-4 in Birmingham at the new Crossplex indoor track facility. High schools in Alabama have had to live without indoor track for the past six years, as the old facility where meets were held was shut down.

“[The old space] was really just a large horse barn out in Decatur, we didn’t even have indoor heating,” said coach Argo of the old facility. “The new facility downtown (Crossplex) is really nice and is definitely a huge step forward for indoor track in Alabama.”

The new complex cost around $46 million to build, and will host the wide range of events that take place at indoor track meets; including relays, jumping events, pole vault, shot put, and dashes and hurdles of various distances. The state-of-the-art facility is one of the most impressive of its kind in the Southeast, and will even host interstate track competitions. The 200 meter indoor track also has seating for 4000. The Crossplex complex will surely elevate the level of competition for high school runners throughout Alabama.

Outdoor track begins soon after the indoor season concludes, with a meeting being held on Jan. 31 for prospective runners and the first practice taking place on Feb. 13.