Subscribe to Pacesetter

Wrestling prepares for season

Katie S., Staff Reporter
November 15, 2011
Filed under Sports

Fall sports are coming to an end and the winter sports are beginning. On Oct. 31 the 2011-2012 wrestling season will begin with their first practice. The wrestling team practices five times a week with the team as a whole and on their own 6-7 days a week. Along with practicing, the wrestlers have many other things they have to work on and prepare themselves for as the first match approaches.

The wrestlers have to stay healthy and in shape to keep and maintain their weight in the weight class they are put in.  Many of the things they have to do to maintain their weight is to avoid unhealthy foods like fried foods, fatty meats, pizza, potato chips, crackers, and soft drinks. For the best results, wrestlers can eat smaller more frequent meals and increase the intake of high fiber foods such as whole grain breads, muffins and cereals, fresh fruits, salad, and vegetables. The wrestlers have to drink at least 8-10, 8 ounce glasses of fluids during the day and then drink an additional 16- 24 ounces of water for each pound they may have lost that during a sport practice.

The wrestling team’s head coach, Coach Eric P. said, “True hard work and dedication will make one succeed in all endeavors one takes on.”

Some of the goals for this season according to Coach Christopher P. and Coach Eric P. are to improve on last season and grow the program into a top team in the state of Alabama in class 6A.

“We want to make this sport grow and show the rest of the students how hard the wrestlers work and give them a program to be proud of. We also want to do away with the myth that all wrestlers starve themselves to make weight. Instead we promote healthier lifestyles for the athletes,” said Coach Christopher P.

The wrestlers for this season are Nolan V., Tre M., Cody W., Zach F., Robby B., Nick F., Jacob B., Nick E., Stephen J., Mason T., Barrett B., Logan B., Dakota C., Jacob G., Robert Chase G., Matthew H., Chandler H., Kenny H., Seth K., Jansen M., Robert W., Chase B., Joseph B., Drayton C., Blake E., Hasaan H., Karl N., Riley P., Alex R., and Trey S.

“Wrestling is a sport where people can work themselves to success no matter their ability because hard work pays off. Hard work breeds success,” said Coach Christopher P.