Subscribe to Pacesetter

Helena High School construction starts soon

Grant B., Staff Reporter
February 1, 2012
Filed under News

The new Helena High School is about to get started soon. The land was originally purchased in mid-late 2011 for 1.7 million dollars. Official groundbreaking will be sometime around the beginning of February. The bidding for the contract to clear the site will take place on the last day of January. The bidding to see which company gets the contract based on how low of a cost they can build the high school for and still meet all of the desired requirements of the building will be on the 15th of March.

When the site is finally cleared, the chosen building contractor will start immediately, insuring that the project will be able to get finished quicker. The set date for when building will be opening in fall of 2013, though hopefully unforeseen weather and other uncontrollable factors will no delay this target time.

“I think the new school will help a lot with overcrowding here at Pelham, though we don’t know which teachers are staying or going.” said Mrs. Copes, one of the schools Spanish teachers.

Sports such as football would start at approximately the same time period, and the Alabama High School Athletics Association would also determine the school’s classification at around the same time.

Parent Cindy Dickson said, “I am really looking forward to the high school being built. Pelham is extremely overcrowded, and the new school will allow us to fix that.”